NUTLEY LITTLE THEATRE SCHEDULES AUDITIONS FOR:
ANNA IN THE TROPICS
By Nilo Cruz
Directed by Beatriz Esteban-Messina
Audition dates: Sunday, Nov. 5 & Monday, Nov. 6 from 7 to 9 pm, both nights
Winner of the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, “Anna in the Tropics” is a poignant and poetic play set in 1929 Florida in a Cuban-American cigar factory, where cigars are still rolled by hand and “lectors” are employed to educate and entertain the workers.
The actors speak in English but need a nuance of other languages. They should represent the many possible appearances of Latinos – white, dark, black, and sometimes all within 1 family. The roles available are as follows:
• Santiago – father of Conchita & Marcela, husband of Ofelia, and owner of cigar factory (50-70)
• Palomo- husband to Conchita (25-35)
• Che Che- the “bastard” son of Santiago (25-35)
• Eliades- a local bet-maker on cockfights (25+)
• Juan Julian- the lector (30-45)
• Conchita- daughter of Santiago and wife of Palomo (25-35)
• Marela -younger daughter of Santiago (18-25)
• Ofelia- the wife of Santiago & mother of Conchita & Marla (50+)
Sides will be provided. Call-backs, if needed, will be held on Sunday, Nov. 12 from 7 to 9 pm.
Evening performances will take place on Feb. 9, 10, 16, 17, 22, 23, and 24 at 8 pm.
Matinees are scheduled for Feb. 11, 18, and 24 at 2 pm.
Auditions will be held at: Nutley Little Theatre, 47 Erie Pl, Nutley, NJ